World Professional Standings
Major Awards And Victories
- 2000: Calgary Stampede Rangeland Derby Champion Outrider, Calgary Stampede Aggregate Champion Outrider
- 2004: Calgary Stampede Rangeland Derby Champion Outrider
- 2009: WPCA Chuckwagon Person of the Year
- 2011: Colonial Days Fair, Colonial Days Fair Aggregate Winner
- 2014: WPCA Equine Outfit of Excellence - "CARIBE" - Champion Outriding Horse
- 2017: Herman Flad Memorial Award (WPCA Most Improved Driver)
- 2021: Dewberry World Chuckwagon Races
A 20-year veteran in the wagon box, 2019 was another strong season for Layne. He posted 17 top ten runs, including 7 runs that placed inside the top five. He placed in the top ten overall at three show championships, and made the playoff round at the Century Downs World Finals.
Layne won the Herman Flad Memorial Award as the WPCA’s Most Improved Driver in 2017, and was honored with the WPCA highest annual award when he received the prestigious Chuckwagon Person of the Year Award in 2009.
Layne started his chuckwagon career 30 years ago as an outrider, and enjoyed a very successful career highlighted by winning two Calgary Stampede Rangeland Derby Championships in 2000 and 2004 with Hughie Sinclair, and Sinclair's Calgary Stampede Aggregate winner in 2000.
Layne’s career began on the Canadian Professional Chuckwagon Association (CPCA) circuit where he won two CPCA show championships and twice qualified for the championship final heat for the CPCA Championship. He was the CPCA's Most Improved Driver in 2001, the CPCA's High Point Rookie Driver in 2000, and twice was named the CPCA's Most Sportsmanlike Driver.
A 3rd generation chuckwagon driver, Layne is the father of outrider Trey MacGillivray, the son of former driver Dennis MacGillivray, son-in-law to former driver Wayne Dagg, and is the great-nephew of former driver and legendary chuckwagon promoter Cliff Claggett. Layne and his wife Loreena - the 2008 Ty Tournier Memorial Award recipient - have 2 children - Taygan and Trey - and now make their home in Halkirk, Alberta.