World Professional Standings
Major Awards And Victories
- 2009: CPCA Champion Driver
- 2012: CPCA Champion Driver; CPCA High Point Driver
- 2013: CPCA Champion Driver
- 2014: CPCA Champion Driver
- 2016: Ashley Richards Memorial Presented By Dakota Dunes Casino, Calgary Stampede Equine Outfit of Excellence – “POWER” – Champion Outriding Horse
- 2017: Calgary Stampede Equine Outfit of Excellence – “HAWK” – Champion Left Leader
- 2018: Ponoka Stampede, WPCA Clean Drive Award, Herman Flad Memorial Award (WPCA Most Improved Driver)
- 2019: WPCA Clean Drive Award, WPCA Equine Outfit of Excellence – “HAWK” – Champion Left Leader
Vern had another outstanding season in 2019 when, for the second consecutive year, he was the top aggregate wagon at the Ponoka Stampede, won the WPCA Clean Drive Award, and was runner-up finish for the World Chuckwagon Championship. He raced penalty free all year on the WPCA Pro Tour, posted 32 top ten runs including 3 first place runs and 18 runs that also cracked the top five. Vern qualified for four championship final heats at the Grande Prairie Stompede, the Medicine Hat Stampede, the Ponoka Stampede and the Calgary Stampede. He placed in the top ten in all but one show championship in 2019, and his horse “Hawk” was named Champion Left Leader on the WPCA Equine Outfit of Excellence.
In just 4 seasons on the WPCA Pro Tour, Vern has won two show championships, has twice won the WPCA Clean Drive Award, received the Herman Flad Memorial Award, symbolic of the WPCA’s Most Improved Driver, and has had three horses recognized on the WPCA and Calgary Stampede Equine Outfits of Excellence. He has qualified for the Calgary Stampede’s championship final heat three times and six times he qualified for the GMC Rangeland Derby’s “Semi-Final Saturday.”
Prior to joining the WPCA in 2016, Vern had an incredible career on the Canadian Professional Chuckwagon Association (CPCA) circuit, where he was the CPCA Champion Driver four-times, was the CPCA’s High Point Driver in 2012, won 11 CPCA show championships, and was the CPCA’s Most Improved Driver in 2004. Vern qualified for the championship dash for the CPCA Championship four consecutive years, and eight times in eleven years.
Vern works as a carpenter in the off season and enjoys sleigh rides, fishing, hunting, driving his Percheron Team, and going to the rink with the kids. Vern and Lisa Bensmiller have seven children – Brett, Brendan, Cruise, Paynton, August, Sienna and Madelyn – and make their home in Dewberry, Alberta.